Measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 such as total or partial lockdown and curfews have negatively affected the revenue streams of most Nigerians. A lot of people have to survive on the little they have with some dipping into their savings to eat. Millions are begging to survive and many have taken to crime. As the level of insecurity around the country surges, the onus is on you to ensure your personal safety.
Here are some safety tips to help you:
- Reduce or remove anything that singles you out
- Remain aware of the people and activities in your surroundings
- Always trust your instincts when it comes to safety
- Prepare your activities with safety in mind
- Stay in well lit, populated pathways. Avoid shortcuts.
- Walk with your head upright and make eye contact. Thieves usually target victims that are not paying attention to their surroundings.
- Avoid tuning yourself out (listening to music or texting) with electronics and gadgets
- Download security software on your phones that can send message in case of trouble
- Install tracking apps on your phone to be monitored by those closest to you
- If you observe any suspicious person, or feel threatened in any way, call the police immediately.
- Ensure you have the contact details of security outfits around you