The best part of being motivated is the feeling that we’re unstoppable and we can take on the world. It drives us to pursue our dreams and aim for our goals. But, what motivates you when you start working towards a goal isn’t usually the same thing that will motivate you towards its fulfillment. Your motivation needs to evolve to remain relevant to your goals. This is where things get difficult.
Retaining your motivation until you achieve your goal in itself requires some motivation. You will encounter plateaus, valleys and roadblocks along the way. You may even find yourself stuck at a phase. At this point, you may wonder where you got the audacity to begin the journey in the first place.
If you feel you have lost your motivation, here are things to do to get it back:
- Refocus on doing what you genuinely love to do
- List out your opportunities and the threats
- Dedicate a few minutes daily to remember your successes
- Go for a bigger goal or set a smaller one
- Remember where you are coming from
- Work out
- Build a supportive network you can talk with
- Start acting and let the motivation catch up with you
- Become accountable to a loved one
- Draw inspiration from the successful people around you
- Have fun
- Take a break
Obstacles are put in your way to see if what you want is worth fighting for. Most times, we lose our motivation when we don’t see light at the end of the tunnel but that is actually when we should press forward.